Frequently Asked Questions


 Who do I call in case of an emergency?

Dial 9-1-1 and Ogle County Dispatch will tone us out.

 Do you offer CPR Classes?

CPR Classes 
Heart Saver and Health Care Provider (BLS) courses
The classes are free for district residents and $40 per student for non-residents.  The dates are as follows:
 March 27th 2024 – 1800 - Heartsaver
June 26th 2024 – 1800 – Heartsaver
September 25th 2024 – 1800 – Heartsaver
December 18th 2024 – 1800 – BLS Provider (Healthcare Workers)
Please call the station to register:  815-234-4911


 What is my insurance rating?

Within City Limits, the rating is 3

Outside of City Limits, in the Rural area, it is 10

 Does the Fire Department Charge for Ambulance Services?

Yes, effective May 20, 2019 and per Ordinance #2019-01 rates increased, the District charges for ambulance transports.  Insurance information is obtained and billed accordingly.  Rates are as follows:

BLS - Resident $1,200*
BLS - Non-resident $1,200

ALS - Resident $1,200*
ALS - Non-resident $1,200.00
ALS - 2 $1,200.00

Transport Mileage - $15.00 per mile
Oxygen Administered:  $25
EKG Performed:  $50
IV Administered:  $25

*Assignment is accepted for District Residents - See Ordinance #2019-01 in the Transparency section*

 Is there a non-emergency number for the Fire Department?

Yes there is, call 815-234-4911 and your question will be routed to the appropriate person.

  Where do I vote?

To determine the proper voting precinct for your address, please click the "where do I vote" link and  provide the information requested.  If you have further questions, please contact Ogle County County Clerk's Office at 815-732-1110. 

 Does the Fire District keep keys to homes?

No.  What is offered is a KNOX box.  These can be purchased for a nominal fee and then the home or business owner is responsible for installation. 

How do the KNOX boxes work:  They are mounted outside the home or business and the  fire department has a master key to open the box.  The resident or business owner places their house key inside and the fire department can access the home. 

For more information, please contact Deputy Chief Tony Dinges at 815-234-2361, ext. 4493.

 Can I come to the station if I feel ill?

Yes, walk in patients are treated the same way as when our ambulance comes to you.  But please remember, 9-1-1 will get us to you.  Don't hesitate to call in an emergency situation.

 Do you transport for non-emergency?

No we do not.  There are outside agencies available for this type of service.

 Will the Fire Department Fill My Swimming Pool?

Sorry, the Fire District will not be able to assist in the filling or draining of your swimming pool.  Please contact the City of Byron's Public Works Department for information.  They can be reached at 815-234-2762.